"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science!"
-- Agatha Heterodyne, "Girl Genius", Phil Foglio
For use with World of Darkness: Second Sight The apothecary is a master of the healing arts, potions, salves, cures, etc.
Defining Merit: Herbalism ()
Path Merits: Alchemy (External) ( or ), Countermagic ( or ), Curse of Ill-Fortune, Enchantment ( or ), Familiar ( or ), Healing (), Library ( to ), Longevity (; Herbalism may be substituted for Alchemy as a prerequisite), Luck Magic ( or ), Magical Nexus ( to ), Scrying (), See Auras (), Warding ().
Herbalism (, or )
Prerequisites: Occult and Medicine
"Herbalism and Brewing is the art of using the natural properties of various plant and animal parts (ranging from St. John's Wort and dried bear gonads to even more exotic ingredients) to enhance the natural processes of the human body or that of other living things. In so doing, the herbalist can also induce effects that may seem magical to others but are (in the herbalist's eyes) merely examples of what the human body can do when properly motivated and reinforced with the power of nature."
-- "Sorcerer, Revised Edition", Alchemy Path
Effect: This merit is loosely based on the herbalism portion of the Alchemy/Herbalism/Advanced Chemistry Path from Sorcerer, Revised Edition since WoD: Second Sight only provides strict alchemy (conversion of matter state or material). Each level of herbalism represents an increasing level of complexity and stronger effect. The end product can be a potion, salve, lotion, powder, pill, tincture, or anything else that can be used to imbibe, apply, or distribute.
The one-dot version of this merit allows the herbalist to create more potent versions of existing chemicals (medicines, poisons, solvents, glues, etc.). These improved substances can do any one of the following (for one success):
- Double the "shelf-life" of an organic substance
- Double the useful duration
- Fortify health (1 temporary health level; duration: one scene)
- Half the time it takes to start taking effect
- Improve the effect by 50%
- Reduce the impact of a side effect of the product
With the two-dot version of this merit the herbalist is able to create effects that are minor, but are not possible through normal substances. The herbalist's creation can do any one of the following (for two successes):
- Attributes (raise/lower by one dot, not to exceed 5)
- Fortify health (2 temporary health levels)
- Gain small insight via a dream or vision (these visions are generally related to someone the person taking the substance knows but without any information about themselves)
- Growth rate increase of 100% to plants
- Increases in senses (+1 to perception rolls when a particular sense applies)
- Affect major biological/chemical changes in the body (race/near-stop heart rate and breathing; guarantee or counter fertility; cure moderate diseases such as pneumonia, etc.)
- Attributes (raise/lower by two dots, not to exceed 5)
- Fortify health (4 temporary health levels)
- Gain a moderate insight via a dream or vision
- Growth rate increase of 200% to plants
- Increases in senses (9 again on perception rolls when a particular sense applies; 8 again if 9 again already applies)
- Affect minor biological/chemical changes in the body (increase/decrease heart rate and breathing; cure minor diseases such as the cold or flu; increase photosynthesis)
With the four-dot version of this merit . . . (for four successes):
Dice Pool: Intelligence + Occult
Ritual Length: One hour.
Duration (of product): The potions, tinctures, salves and other products of herbalism have a "shelf life" of 1 month.
Duration (of effect): Once used, the effect of the herbalists creations is one scene or hour (whichever is greater).
Dramatic Failure: . . .
Exceptonal Success: . . .
Suggested Equipment: . . .
Possible Penalties: . . .
Example: . . .
Advanced Herbalism ( to )
Prerequisites: Herbalism and Occult
For use with World of Darkness: Second Sight