The origin of the Benevali is proof not only of what unity among Kindred of various clans can accomplish, but also how often it is resisted, both from within and from the rest of vampiric society.
Since then, this bloodline has strived to make the best of situations and to increase good relations between bloodlines and clans. The primary function the Benevali is to gather information about all of the other clans and known bloodlines. They have become the modern day Cappadicians (without the obsession with death).
Augustus Corvair, the founder of the Benevali and former member of the Tremere managed to befriend significant members of a large number of clans and bloodlines. A few examples: Cappadocians, Gangrel, Nosferatu, Toreador, Ventrue, Ravnos, Samedi, and Salubri.
Appearance: Cultural origins and ways of dress vary widely. A number of Benevali tend to wear things associated with ancient healers, druids, and herbalists, but are just as likely to wear a suit and tie or street clothes. Like the Salubri, they gradually develop a third eye as they learn Obeah.
Haven: Most prefer quiet, secluded places that provide a place to relax, think, and be reminded of why they stick around.
Background: Mortals of healing, medical, or mystical thinking and profession are the most likely candidates for Embrace. It is very important that the mortal want to make a positive difference in something and be willing to do what it takes.
Character Creation: Benevali tend to be Social or Mental and Knowledge primaries. All must have a nature of Architect, Caregiver, Cavalier, Defender, Visionary or any nature that cares more for others than themselves or can see a greater picture and are willing to strive to realize that picture. Demeanors can be just about anything. Normal Background Traits include Allies, Contacts, and Influence.
The Benevali are restricted to the following Roads: Chivalry, Heaven, Humanity and any other road that possesses the virtue of Conscience.
Weaknesses: Benevali may not cause harm to mortals (or ghouls) that have done no harm. To do so requires a Conscience roll (difficulty of mortal's Humanity) and if they succeed their Road rating automatically goes down a level.
Organization: The Benevali are a loose-knit family that meet on a regular basis to discuss current events, exchange knowledge, introduce new members, and make decisions on how to improve existence.
Gaining Bloodline Prestige: There are two ways to gain respect and Prestige within the Benevali: Knowledge and Humanity.
"Won't you help the mortal? You will not? Then you refuse the seeds of your own existence and you will wither away and die."
- Assamite -- Extremely shifty and untrustworthy, their only allegiance is to themselves and those that pay the most.
- Brujah -- Those that think before they act are generally decent, but look out for the rebels without a clue.
- Cappadocians -- Dark ones, and brooding though they might be, their knowledge has its place, as life and death are equal parts of the whole.
- Children of Osiris -- They perform a service for the rest of the Kindred community, and assuredly the rest of society.
- Children of the Light -- They are Democratic Setites.
- Einheriar -- Protectors to the end, they are rare among Kindred to have a goal in their unlife that isn't selfish.
- Followers of Set -- Their statements have as many meanings as their tongues have edges. Be wary of them and stay clear.
- Gangrel -- They are true to their natures. They embrace what it means to play the part of the Beast, and in doing so they manage to avoid becoming it.
- Giovanni -- Our history teaches us of the traitors they are, and while that was a long time ago, now they just find more subtle ways.
- Kiasyd -- They are warped fae of ages past that couldn't keep the magic and only a little of their souls.
- Lasombra -- Dark politickers who would just as likely push you into a real pit as a political one.
- Malkavian -- They're nuts! But, then again, everyone knows that except them so you have to figure them out on a very individual basis.
- Nosferatu -- Great for information, but wear nose plugs. Beware, however, as some of them are every bit the monster they look.
- Ravnos -- Strange folk for the most part, though watch your purse strings. They seem to have a higher purpose, but they refuse to share their vision with the rest of us.
- Salubri -- Our brothers, they seek inner enlightenment, and will assist those who are in need. Believe not the lies that Tremere teach.
- Samedi -- Obsession with death to the point of looking one's true age is not healthy.
- Toreador -- They seek outer beauty rather than inner beauty and they would cage that which would be more beautiful free. However, some possess true beauty.
- Tremere -- They view other Kindred the way most Kindred view mortals: different at best, an inferior or convenient snack at worst.
- Tzimesce -- Unnatural by Kindred standards, they play with flesh as though it were play-dough.
- Ventrue -- Dry and stuffy, but some are truly noble. They do their best to be leaders, but it is their motives that matter.
Most Likely Rituals
Level One Rituals
Defense of the Sacred Haven, Wake with Evening's Freshness, Communicate with Sire, Deflection of Woden Doom, Purity of Flesh
Level Two Rituals
Ward Versus Ghouls, Donning the Mask of Shadows, Principal Focus of Vitae Infusion
Level Three Rituals
Ward Versus Lupines, Shaft of Belated Quiescence, Incorporeal Passage
Level Four Rituals
Ward Versus Canites, Binding the Beast
Level Five Rituals
Escape to a True Friend, Ward Versus Spirits, Blood Contract, Ward Versus Fae*
*Ward Versus Fae
This ritual works in a manner similar to Ward Versus Ghouls (Level Two Ritual), but affects fae and changelings.
System: The requirements for this ritual are the same as for Ward Versus Ghouls, except the required item is iron filings instead of mortal blood.